150g ground pork
7-8 baby eggplants (about 1 small pint)
1 medium size carrots, cut to julienne
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Thai chilli padi, diced (remove seeds for a little less heat)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 thai lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
a handful of Thai basil leaves, reserve some for garnishing.
1/2 cup rice
1) Cook rice with 1 cup of water.
2) Cut the baby eggplant in quarters and sprinkle with about ½ teaspoon of salt and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
3) In a small bowl, mix together the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and lime juice.
4) Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat. Add minced garlic and chilli, cook for 30 seconds. Then add the ground pork and break up into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook until the pork is no longer pink.
5) Use a kitchen paper towel to soak up any moisture on the eggplants and then add to the wok with the carrots. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes.
6) Add the sauce prepared in step 3 to the wok and making sure to coat everything.
7) Cover the wok to steam the eggplant for 10 minutes or until it's tender. Add a little hot water if the wok is too dry to generate any steam.
8) Add basil leaves and stir till they wilt.
9) Serve over rice and garnish with basil leaves.
Adapted from http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com.